Re: emdebian-tools do not install with cdrom-only entries in sources.list

Am 2007-04-29 18:33:50, schrieb Neil Williams:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:02:55 +0200
> Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:
> > "embedian-tools".
>
> (emDeBian, it's about debs not beds!)
> :-)

It is now 03:27am and I should go to bed...
If it is to late, I do not think on it...

> [...]
> not sure if we can get CD-support or local-mirror support such that
> emdebian-tools can operate entirely without internet access.
>
> One problem is that the location of the file to pass to apt-cross
> (actually wget called by apt-cross) cannot be identified from the cache
> data currently available. I'm hoping that NorthernCross will help with
> this problem.
>
> The second problem is that cross-building is likely to involve cache
> files for individual packages: e.g. arm-linux-gnu.cache passed
> to ./configure --cache-file. These are likely to need research on the
> net to find the correct values from a native build. Even with a
> complete Debian mirror, you won't have the contents of buildd.d.o and
> you won't have access to the information you need to fix the
> cross-building of many packages. Currently, most packages fail to
> cross-build at the first attempt and many will need such cache files,
> one for each target arch. In the scenario above with my iBook, I cannot
> usually get to a usable build whilst entirely without an internet
> connection.
>
> The third problem is the issue of building outdated packages on an
> outdated system causing havoc upon installation and subsequent upgrade.
> This is where I feel the biggest hurdles lie - I don't think Emdebian
> should be encouraging such package builds.
>
> > My local mirror has currently ALL files from Buzz to Etch complete and
> > this for ALL 12 architectures plus sources.  Nearly 5 TByte of
> > binaries and sources.
>
> There is no reliable method of detecting this situation in postinst.
> Sorry. I tried many methods but it's a bit like proving a negative.
> Debconf gets in the way with it's redirection of STDERR and apt won't
> return the information I need without using the libapt-pkg-perl modules
> which in turn mean getting apt-cross and NorthernCross to work
> together and that is going to take quite some time. It's
> not just a case of patches, it's whether a completely disconnected
> machine should actually be running emdebian-tools at all. If this was a
> bug report, I would be very tempted to tag this 'wont fix' because I
> really can't see a way OF fixing it. Feel free to prove me wrong.
> :-)
>
> It is possible that I can add an after-installation option in emsetup to
> allow the user to specify a mirror that should be treated as a Primary
> - with warnings that the user needs to know what they are doing and be
> sure that the specified mirror does actually behave as a Debian
> Primary.
>
> In short, I don't really know how to fix this, either with cdrom-only
> or local-mirror-only configurations as I'm not entirely sure it is
> even fixable. Even after installation and setup, emdebian-tools still
> requires access to regularly updated Debian caches and I don't see how
> a local mirror can replicate that without being connected to the
> internet which then defeats the point of the fix.

Hello,

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)