Re: emdebian-tools do not install with cdrom-only entries in sources.list

On 2007-04-26 19:12 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 16:33:35 +0400
> Anthony Sharobaiko <anthony@fiord.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have etch installed from DVDs, so /etc/apt/sources.list
> > contains only 'deb cdrom://...' entries.
>
> emdebian-tools cannot operate without access to the internet - I hope
> you aren't expecting to use emdebian-tools without access to a Debian
> Primary Mirror? apt supports cdrom only, apt-cross does not.

I don't see why (in principle) all the necessary packages cannot be on
a CD, rather than over the net. emdebian-tools shouldn't care. I
suppose that currently we are using wget to actually get packages,
rather than using apt itself, otherwise we could support CD archives
'for free'.

I agree it's not a very useful scenario in practice, but if anthony
produces patches that will actually make it work then I don't see why
we shouldn't accept them.

> The reason is that even with a multi-arch DVD, arm (e.g.) packages are
> not available on a non-arm system without internet access to a primary
> mirror - there simply isn't room.

They would be available if you had the arm CDs.

> I don't see why this setup has been
> created - it is certainly artificial. Why was this test performed -
> what was the background?

One reason might just be that someone installed emdebian-tools on a
recently-installed-from CD system (this could be lenny or sid - it
doesn't have to be stable).

Adding a default primnary mirror or whinging that they should do it
themselves is clearly better than failing.

> The solution is to upgrade to testing or unstable which will, in
> turn, require an addition to /etc/apt/sources.list to add a suitable
> mirror.

It doesn't have to.

Principal hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One - Debian
http://wookware.org/