Re: emdebian-tools do not install with cdrom-only entries in sources.list

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 16:33:35 +0400
Anthony Sharobaiko <anthony@fiord.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have etch installed from DVDs, so /etc/apt/sources.list
> contains only 'deb cdrom://...' entries.

emdebian-tools cannot operate without access to the internet - I hope
you aren't expecting to use emdebian-tools without access to a Debian
Primary Mirror? apt supports cdrom only, apt-cross does not.

The reason is that even with a multi-arch DVD, arm (e.g.) packages are
not available on a non-arm system without internet access to a primary
mirror - there simply isn't room. I don't see why this setup has been
created - it is certainly artificial. Why was this test performed -
what was the background?

emdebian-tools is not part of Etch and is not designed to work with
Etch, only with Lenny or Sid. Were you attempting a backport?

The solution is to upgrade to testing or unstable which will, in
turn, require an addition to /etc/apt/sources.list to add a suitable
mirror.

If I do change postinst, it may only be to disable emdebian-tools if
such a system is detected.

True, postinst does need to be updated rather than simply dying but I
don't see any way of supporting a cdrom-only (even DVD-only)
installation.

> Should postinst be changed to something like this, maybe?

I'm not sure that any form of non-internet system can be supported in
emdebian-tools.

Can you send me the output of 'apt-cache policy' for your setup?