Re: Starting with Emdebian

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 18:22:42 +0000
"Hero_xbd!.RRR" <heroxbd@126.com> wrote:

> Referring to your "Direction of Emdebian"[1],  I guess it comes to
> the stage of emdebianising the essential packages  to form a complete
> distribution.

Yes but it's not an automated process at this stage, emdebianising a
package involves editing and testing various changes.

When building OE, there is a method that can largely be just started
and left to it's own ends - emdebian isn't going down that road. We're
building a full set of binary packages for users to download without
having to build their own. Building a new package set for a different
architecture (mips, m68k etc.) will involve less work than building for
the first architecture but cache files and other components may still
need to be tweaked manually. Time will tell if the cache file data can
be retrieved with a script of some sort.

> After hanging around on the web for about one day, touching various
> approach (e.g. OE, slind), I realized  the best way for me to  work
> on embedded devices is the "pure emdebian" way as you postulated [2].
> I hate the mass of sources, libs, toolchains and configuration files
> spreading everywhere of my system, which dirties up my system.

I know what you mean - the toolchains get installed in the 'normal'
Debian places but building packages does always leave a trail of build
trees. Configuration is based in debconf or ~/.dpkg-cross so that's
straightforward.

> So I am looking forward to the upcoming GPE on ARM emdebian suite[1].
> I would like to be involved in the progress.

We're not at a stage to build GPE yet, there are a lot of non-GUI
packages that need to be built first. This afternoon, I'm hoping to
make some kind of 'status' output of which packages are at which stages
- that's one reason why emdebuild has been changed to support .build
logs.

> Resources available on my side are an ARM7 board, an ARM9 board, and
> 10 amd64 PCs maybe useful for cross  building.

Ten? The target packages (the ones for ARM boards, iPAQ's etc.) are not
in a bootable state yet but you are welcome to start building whichever
packages you need.

Then there's all the documentation of how to make this easier for
everyone else . .

There's a lot to do!