Re: Newbie questions

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 19:19:07 +0800 (CST)
Jarod Wang <mailtojarod@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:

> Sorry, I think I misunderstood what Embedebian is.

No problem.

> 4. Emdebian's first target package set is GPE which is currently being
>
> What does the acronym "GPE" stands for?

GPE Palmtop Environment - a Gnome derivative environment designed for
handheld devices like iPAQ's and inherently suited to low resource ARM
boards. It uses Gtk+ and glib2 with it's own suite of low resource
applications.

http://gpe.linuxtogo.org/

"[A] major goal of GPE is to encourage people to work on free software
for mobile devices and to experiment with new technologies."
So GPE is a perfect partner for Emdebian. GPE provides the upstream
code, Debian and Emdebian make GPE available on a new range of devices.

Currently, GPE uses the Familiar project [1] as build environment and
installer (which in turn uses OpenEmbedded [2]) and they use their
own .deb-derived package format called ipkg. OpenEmbedded are not
allied to any particular desktop distribution. This makes it difficult
to prepare a distribution that can cope with larger devices, which is
where Emdebian comes in. Emdebian can extend Debian down to low
resource units whilst still supporting all the devices in between. It
makes data exchange much easier because the same applications are
available on all devices, from the handheld up to the desktop. With the
OE / Familiar presentation of GPE, you are limited to their packages
(numbering less than 100); with Emdebian, a more powerful board could
be set up with Emdebian but extended with packages from Debian -
extending the package list to almost the full 15,000 Debian packages.
There will always be some packages that just aren't suitable but, in
theory, most "user" packages can be 'emdebianised'. We just aren't
quite there yet. ;-)

> Emdebian already has toolchains that can do this job working from i386,
> amd64 or powerpc as the build architecture.
>
> I think here the "build architecture" means the host platform which I will run the cross toolchain. Am I right?

Yes.

Always be careful with terminology - different contexts, different
projects, use the same terms in different ways.

The toolchain build architecture is the architecture running the
toolchain. The toolchain target architecture is the architecture
running the binaries compiled BY the toolchain - ARM in your case (and
mine).

Build-arch builds the packages for the target-arch. A toolchain
suitable for the intended target therefore needs to be installed on the
build-arch box, i386 in your case, amd64 in mine.

> Yes, the Emdebian toolchains are available and do work. If your build
> machine (the one doing the cross-compiling for the ARM board) is
> running Ubuntu, then an Emdebian toolchain is available. See the
> emdebian website. [3]
>
> I am using Ubuntu 6.06 LTS i386 as my host's OS. And I found description of Embedebian cross toolchains on this page: http://www.emdebian.org/tools/crosstools.html, I will try it. Thanks for your reply.

That should be fine. For more information on the toolchain packages,
see: http://www.emdebian.org/toolchains/search.php
and the Emdebian toolchain wiki page:
http://wiki.debian.org/EmdebianToolchain

[1] http://familiar.handhelds.org/