Re: Newbie questions

Neil Williams <linux@codehelp.co.uk> 写道:
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:17:18 +0800 (CST)
wrote:

> a) Could I use(install) Embedebian on Ubuntu distro?

1. Emdebian is in the process of building packages, but there is
nothing to 'use' right now.

2. Emdebian would replace Ubuntu or Debian as it will be a full OS
itself.

3. Emdebian is intended for embedded (handheld) devices that cannot run
a full sized OS like Debian or Ubuntu so if the device can already run
Ubuntu, the only gain with Emdebian is a reduction in the total
installation size.

Sorry, I think I misunderstood what Embedebian is.

4. Emdebian's first target package set is GPE which is currently being

What does the acronym "GPE" stands for?

packaged for Debian [1] [2]. Some packages are already in Ubuntu, more
are in Debian unstable (and presumably will soon be in Ubuntu Feisty),
a dozen more are awaiting entry into Debian.

5. You can install GPE packages in Debian (or later in Ubuntu Feisty)
in the normal way - these will interoperate with the Emdebian packages
destined for the embedded device e.g. via rsync.

> b) I want to cross-compile ARM Linux 2.6.x

Emdebian already has toolchains that can do this job working from i386,
amd64 or powerpc as the build architecture.

I think here the "build architecture" means the host platform which I will run the cross toolchain. Am I right?

> for my custom SAMSUNG S3C2410A(ARM920T) based evaluation board,
> but the pre-built toolchains from ARM Linux's FTP site seemed could
> not work properly with Linux 2.6.x. Could Embedebian help me on this issue?

Yes, the Emdebian toolchains are available and do work. If your build
machine (the one doing the cross-compiling for the ARM board) is
running Ubuntu, then an Emdebian toolchain is available. See the
emdebian website. [3]

I am using Ubuntu 6.06 LTS i386 as my host's OS. And I found description of Embedebian cross toolchains on this page: http://www.emdebian.org/tools/crosstools.html, I will try it. Thanks for your reply.

Best regards,

Jarod Wang

Only the panaroid survive.

Mp3疯狂搜-新歌热歌高速下