Fw: Re: Dependencies on shared libs, news and difference between archs

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:06:16 +0200
From: Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
To: Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org>
Cc: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Dependencies on shared libs, news and difference between archs

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007, Neil Williams wrote:
> I'd appreciate any input you can provide because dpkg-shlibdeps isn't
> particularly familiar to me and I purposely left this part of
> dpkg-cross until this stage of the rewrite.
>
> I'd like to be able to not need dpkg-shlibdeps in dpkg-cross but if the
> version in dpkg is not ready to be cross-compiler aware, a merge with
> the latest dpkg code is well overdue.

Well, this is a topic for once my dpkg-shlibdeps implementation has been
merged. But feel free to explain your needs in
debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org.

You've given lots of links and info but I don't really know in what
situation you are calling dpkg-shlibdeps and what kind of change do you
need.

I'm however fully aware that dpkg-shlibdeps is not really cross-compiling
friendly. It's also difficult to be friendly since all the information
that it uses comes from /var/lib/dpkg/info/ which corresponds to the the
host information (and not the info of the target) and AFAIK there's not
standard location that we can use to lookup the information corresponding
to the target.

In summary, please sum up your needs in a new mail that you send to
debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org and maybe open a bug report on the topic.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Hmm - that one came straight back so I'm asking here.

Precisely what do we need from the next version of dpkg-shlibdeps ?

http://wiki.debian.org/Projects/ImprovedDpkgShlibdeps