Re: dpkg-cross 2.0.0 and CC_FOR_BUILD

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:03:37 +0100
Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:

> My original method to fix libx11-6 (not passing CC into MAKEFLAGS)
> breaks grep so I need a new method.

Ah well, maybe I should have tried one more test before posting . . .

Turns out that:
1. We should never be overridding MAKEFLAGS

2. Packages that don't cross-build without MAKEFLAGS are the buggy
ones, not those that do.

3. So far, CDBS is a culprit but also very easy to fix:
DEB_CONFIGURE_SCRIPT_ENV=

The reason is that CDBS presets
DEB_CONFIGURE_SCRIPT_ENV = CC="$(CC)" CXX="$(CXX)" CFLAGS="$(CFLAGS)" CXXFLAGS="$(CXXFLAGS)" CPPFLAGS="$(CPPFLAGS)" LDFLA    GS="$(LDFLAGS)"

but passes those values TO ./configure instead of reading them
AFTER ./configure has had a chance to process --build= and --host=.

Easy to fix - I'm just going to go ahead and rebuild the current
Emdebian packages with the current CVS version of dpkg-cross 1.99
+2.0.0pre1 to ensure it is only this one affected and then upload the
dpkg-cross pre-release to Debian experimental.

I'll make a formal announcement of the changes needed to scripts that
used dpkg-cross. Anything that uses "require 'dpkg-cross.pl" needs
amendment because dpkg-cross.pl will soon be Debian::DpkgCross.