dpkg-cross 2.0.0 and CC_FOR_BUILD

My original method to fix libx11-6 (not passing CC into MAKEFLAGS)
breaks grep so I need a new method.

The problem appears to be:

1. MAKEFLAGS="CC=arm-linux-gnu-gcc ..." is needed for the ./configure

2. MAKEFLAGS="" is needed *after* configure to allow CC_FOR_BUILD to
correctly build tools that need to be run during the build.

Now I can fix this in individual packages by specifying:

in an appropriate place in debian/rules but I want to be able to fix
this properly.

CC_FOR_BUILD is used to override CC in the Makefile either for a
specific target or for a specific directory. The dpkg-cross diversion
of dpkg-buildpackage sets MAKEFLAGS and I can't yet see a way for it to
detect the stage of the build or where CC_FOR_BUILD is actually in use.

See also http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=437507

Neil Williams