Re: Supporting embedded debian project

On 2007-08-14 00:13 -0700, Kallol Biswas wrote:
> We would like to join embedded debian project to
> support all possible embedded boards based on ARM
> processors.

"All possible" is a very large target - there are hundreds. Do you
really mean that, or do you have particular boards in mind?

However, much of that variation lies in the kernel and config for
available hardware (serial ports, display, modules etc). The emdebian
project is currently concentrating on the userspace and toolchain part
of the problem as making kernels for lots of boards already works
pretty well. A generic userspace which will suffice for a
large subset of boards with some package variation is something we
beleive is practical.

> We will be interested in bringing up new boards,
> creating/validating toolchains, roofs and supporting
> people or organizations.

That is excellent news - glad to have you on board - we have a huge
amount to do and not many people to do it with right now.

> We have allocated a few dedicated resources for this
> purpose. Please let me know the best way to start.

That is a relatively difficult question to answer. Take a look at the
todo list:
http://www.emdebian.org/emdebian/todo.html which is the best list we
have of what needs doing. Follow the mailing list and irc channel.

Pick something you have an interest in, or feel competent to do.
(making various things that don't cross-build cross-build is the
current largest task, and easily splits into lots of different
people). Send patches into the list, and we will give you direct
subversion access once we see competence and activity.

Feel free to ask questions about things which are not clear (our docs
leave a lot to be desired (another job) so many things are not clear,
and some are simply not decided).

Some more details about what 'a few dedicated resources' means (half
an engineer, some disk space, 3 full-time engineers, a PR dept?)
actually means might be helpful so we can best fit your resources and
interests in to the project.

Toolchain builds is another area that is basically working, but
under-resourced to keep up with changes in Debian and upstream. This
is less easy to share between people, but testing and patches and work
on the scripts/build system is all welcome.

Principal hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One - Debian
http://wookware.org/