Re: Proposal: remove man and info entries from dh config files

On 7/28/07, Ron <ron@debian.org> wrote:

Hi,

It all depends on how intrusive you want to get and where, but for the
packages where I have had to modify the /rules for embedded builds, I
have begun using the convention of 'DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS = weakpolicy' to
mean the package build should ignore all policy related to installing
documentation, and only install the binary files required for execution.
In many cases you can just not call the particular dh_* commands related
to docs rather than modifying the files they read.

As an interested outsider, I wonder if the easiest thing to do, in the case of dh_* commands related to docs might be to provide a wrapper around the original dh_* that either checks the actual path of the file and passes on to the real command (for dh_install, for example) or just returns (for dh_installdoc, dh_installinfo, dh_installman(pages), etc.) by modifying the path to include the emdebian versions to be found before the real versions during a build. That way, packages that use debhelper are pretty much "automatically" fixed to exclude their docs when building under emdebian, with no change to the primary Debian packaging.

Also, on the changelog info that's been talked about in another thread, could something similar to debchange be used to include the append the em1, or increment if it's already there? That way, the last changelog entries are what were done to the package to go from the native Debian version to the embedded version, and you never have to worry about a patch not applying because it's always added at the top of the changelog, rather than patching the changelog.

Anyway, like I said, interested observer, but not active participant. Hope the feedback is helpful, and I do monitor the list, so let me know if you have any questions.