RE: Help with tmpfs filesystem

> Hi,
> I mount my /tmp directory tmpfs but when I copy a file to it, it hangs
> the system. The file is largs ~4M but I'm not sure if that matters.
>
> Is there a limit og tmpfs within the limits of the available ram?
> Should I specify a size on this, but how?
> I looked into ramfs and thinking about using it instead but I'm not
> sure what's the difference (ramfs or tmpfs).
>
> My fstab looks like this:

> <pass>
> none            /proc           proc    defaults                0       0
> none            /proc/bus/usb   usbfs   defaults                0       0
> sysfs           /sys            sysfs   defaults                0       0
> tmpfs           /tmp            tmpfs   defaults                0       0
> /dev/mtdblock3  /var            jffs2   defaults                0       0
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

I read on denx.de that if I oversize tmpfs that my machice will deadlock and this sounds like
what might be happening. It's the most possible thing I've read so far.
I would like to try something a bit different and would appreciate very much your
comments.
I would like to put my entire rootfs in a tmpfs on RAM. To do this I'll creata a mini cramfs
which will have the real rootfs that I will either uncompress or loopback mount to my tmpfs.

I have three questions here:
What sort of a filesystem should I make the real_root.img? Just a gz or tgz file?

When I uncompress the file and chroot to /tmpfs_rootfs, does my rcS script continue to execute
the remaining lines on this new root as it should? or at what point should I do the chroot?

If I do a loopback mount so that my new root is sitting in /tmpfs_root, do I use the mount
commant to mount the root or just do a chroot?

If there is simplier way, I'm always willing to hear it.
Much appreciated.
--Jr.

KEEP SPYWARE OFF YOUR COMPUTER - Protect your computer with Spyware Terminator!
Visit http://www.spywareterminator.com/install and find out more!