Re: arm eabi port, patches

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 01:46:26 +0200
Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> wrote:

> I think the correct thing to do is to merge dpkg-cross into dpkg
> itself, and I'm willing to start discussing what's needed from dpkg
> side to start incrementaly merging the functionality. Nikita, Neil?

When you say merge functionality, do you still intend that dpkg-cross
is a distinct binary package built from dpkg sources? I don't think
it's a good idea to merge dpkg-cross into dpkg to generate a 'dpkg
--cross' command. The vast majority of dpkg users do not need cross
support of any kind, even those using cross-built binaries (which are
installed with dpkg -i as normal). The debconf templates for dpkg-cross
could just annoy and confuse ordinary dpkg users. I think there should
still be a /usr/bin/dpkg-cross and a binary package called dpkg-cross
which provides it.

Maybe dpkg could just export the required data to let dpkg-cross 'do
the right thing' without needing tables or lists itself?

Is it only the architecture list that is of concern? What other
components of dpkg-cross are actually part of dpkg? (bearing in mind
that dpkg-cross itself calls dpkg at some points.)