Re: powerpc slind host

Adding the list to recipients.

On 6/20/06, Volker Grabsch <vog@notjusthosting.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:28:44AM +0400, Alexander Shishkin wrote:
> >First, some documentation's "corrections":
> >
> >#dpkg takes the package name, not the deb name.

That's not entirely true.
Meaning "in this particular case" where he referred to the part of
documentation.

> But those *are* package names and not .deb names. :)

This isn't, either.
It most certainly is, in that part of documentation he's referring to.
You seem to be out of context a lil' bit. :)

There's a small asymmetry in dpkg. While the installation
commands (--install) take file names (more precisely: path
names), the remove commands (--remove, --purge) take package
names.

This is reasonable, because the path name contains some
more information which are only useful for installing
packages. A path contains:

    * the directory where to find the package file
    * the package file name, i.e.
        * package name
        * package version
        * package Debian release version

If you were forced to know all that for removing a package,
that would be simply user-unfriendly. Why should I have to
know e.g. the exact version number of a currently installed
package just to remove it?
That's for sure.

--
I am free of all prejudices. I hate every one equally.