Re: [I386-uclibc-devel] Re: Embeddded Debian meetup @ Extremadura

Trimmed cc list..

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 03:02:40PM -0300, Daniel Ruoso wrote:
> Em Ter, 2006-01-03 às 08:16 -0600, Bill Gatliff escreveu:
> > So many important topics, so little time!

> *sigh*... Unfortunally I have to agree...

I presume this is a vote for April instead of march..

> > > * prepare uclibc ports [4]
> > Sadly, I'm not a DD (yet) but I could definitely get behind this
> > proposal.  Not only does it benefit embedded in a BIG way

It seems Extremadura does not require attendees to DD's, so this should
not a problem. You are also clearly not the only one interested in
uClibc.

> this than me) want to create a toolchain integrated into debian, not as
> scratchbox or buildroot does, which works fine, but is not so nice to
> maintain a distribution...

Even in scratchbox we want to get rid of maintaining compilers, so easy
generation of crosscompilers from standard Debian packages would be
nice.

> The same case for me. But we're a little stuck in the toolchain, due to
> gcc(3-4), binutils(0.15-0.16), uclibc(ok, it's just changing too much)
> transition... I'll see some patches I just received to see if we can go
> faster...

Using stable uclibc probably makes more sense, like others already said.
Even then, managing dist-upgrade's when new uClibc versions get released
might be tricky.

> Ok. This brings another problem. The new dpkg (1.13), which claimed to
> be subarches-friendly, is, actually unfriendly.

Can you brief us on these problems? I think EABI port might hit these
too..

And altough this is important, currently I'm most interested in hearing
about who would be interested in coming to Extremadura to get stuff done
:)