Re: Why are we cross-compiling Debian?

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 07:55:08AM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> How much space will optimising binaries for size really provide? How
> does that compare with the simplicity of having the same arch-specific
> binaries (with the same md5sum) in Emdebian and Debian?
[...]
> OK, I know, I've missed something here, there must be a problem in this
> idea - I just can't see it yet. It can't be this simple - can it?

I'm not sure whether it's that simple, but I think you forgot the
binary dependencies.

Recompiling a package also means to have the freedom not to link
against unneeded libraries. I'm not sure if this is really done in
Emdebian, at least it's something *I* would do.

Of course this is also just a "size" argument, but one of Emdebians
goals is keep the list of packages really small, isn't it?

Greets,

    Volker

--
Volker Grabsch