Re: Why are we cross-compiling Debian?

Hi,

Neil Williams schrieb:

OK, this is a radical thought - one of those light bulb moments and the
light may actually be from an oncoming train but - why are we
cross-compiling binaries that are already available as native binaries?

I see the problem from the other direction -- Debian wants to be able to cross-compile packages one day, and emdebian would be a good place to develop the necessary framework for that.

On http://wiki.debian.org/EmdebianWackyIdeas I have written down a few ideas on this, I'm currently trying to implement some of them into a packaging system/buildd thing.

1. Emdebian is Debian stripped-out - a smaller Debian for smaller
devices.

Indeed, but people also want to run small programs on full hardware sometimes, so there is no need to treat emdebian as special here.

3. Emdebian is supporting the same architectures as Debian supports
upstream, just the devices are smaller.

Indeed, but I expect that we can even support some that Debian does not support. AVR springs to mind for me.

How does that compare with the amount of space saved by simply removing
docs and customising locales but leaving the binaries untouched?

I think that could be done with a manifest file in the control archive that tells us what is "core" functionality, documentation, locales, ...

   Simon