Re: Summary of work so far

Neil - thanks for collating all of this - well done!

Comments on thoughts that have changed since this email was
composed....

> 1. emdebian-tools
> =================

A recent idea is to have the emdebian .diff.gz _replacing_ the
standard Debian one, rather than being in addition to it.  Then the
.dsc file would list just an .orig.tar.gz and a .diff.gz (or if it's a
Debian native package, only a .tar.gz).  This will mean that it can
probably be built without any modifications to the existing tools (eg,
dpkg-buildpackage).  This means that upgrades to those core tools will
not need tracking.

Separately from this, we maintain an SVN repository of the patches we
have made to create the emdebianised versions, which can be easily
looked at.  Details still murky but gradually developing.

> 3. .em.diff.gz
>
> Separation of the diff between the Debian version and the emdebian
> version. (Think of it as an interdiff between the .deb and the .emdeb)

This may be confined to history (see above).

> 6. debian/changelog.Debian && debian/changelog

This is pretty recent thinking :-)

   Julian