Re: Emdebian

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 11:07:18AM +0000, Wookey wrote:
> > > Wasn't the whole point of Julian's suggestions that once we had
> > > constructed a suitable new source package with the emdebian diff, that
> > > the tools wouldn't need to change at all? I like that concept.
> > > dpkg-cross already diverts dpkg-buildpackage - doing it again is not
> > > an option if you have that installed.
> >
> > Stuff.  Since dpkg-buildpackage calls dpkg-source, we'll be stuffed as
> > there's no obvious way we can use the standard dpkg-source.
>
> A previous incarmnation of this work used the presence of the EMDEBIAN
> environment variable to change the behaviour of tools where necesary.
> dpkg-cross can also uses it to do different things. Perhaps that is
> the way to get it to transparently DTRT.

But then we need to convince dpkg etc maintainers to patch their
sources.

> > Ah, then again, maybe we should just go with the standard dpkg-source
> > after all, and have other scripts handle the SVN side of things?
> >
> > That opens up a very different way of thinking....

This would mean, fleshing it out:

- the .dsc files for emdebs would contain just .orig.tar.gz and
  foo-1.1em2.diff.gz, and the latter would be the merged Debian diff
  and emdeb patches

- we would have some special tools for maintainers (variants of
  svn-buildpackage and dpkg-dev tools, presumably) for pulling the
  emdeb patch out of svn and applying it to a Debian version, and for
  generating the patch files.

As I think about it more, I'm beginning to like this approach better:
it will mean that anyone can build emdebs using pretty standard tools,
and managing the emdeb patches - which is not part of the build
process per se - is the only thing which will need customised tools.

Thoughts?

   Julian