Re: apt-get won't install cross tools

    Martin & Hector,

    Thank you for your quick responses.

    Following Martin's advice, I tried Kegel's crosstool and I was able to
compile it from scratch for the arm9tdmi core (MC9328MXL). As this board
already comes with some specific module sources which I found (it is based
on the Freescale/Metrowerks dev board and the toolchains are available from
their site) I would like to keep the kernel version the same (2.4.26) and
include more modules for that version. The crossutils automatically
downloaded kernel 2.6.8 source and I did not find a way to manually select
the 2.4.7 sources from the basic sh script (unless I need to hack it
manually). I don't mind a newer kernel, but I'm afraid the specific modules
won't compile with the newer kernels. From the kegel table
(http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.42/buildlogs/) I see that the kernel
2.4.26 compile always fails though so I guess I might have to abandon the
idea.

    My main goals were to compile a new kernel and/or new modules for that
kernel and add more support to the board (SD/MMC, Networking etc). The board
is the "center" of a neural network of other Freescale boards that make up a
small robot (info can be found on www.i-droid.com - Martin, I'm sure you
heard of it!).

    Here is some further info on the specific development board used (not
all are implemented in the i-droid project such as ethernet and
touchscreen):

Linux BSP for the Freescale i.MX1ADS / i.MXLADS - Release1
Platform Creation Suite Compatible
Linux-2.4.26 kernel
-  Serial
-  Ethernet
-  LCD (Rev B/C)
-  Touchscreen
-  Keypad
-  Sound Support (stereo output)
-  USB function (device)
-  Power Management
-  Real-Time Clock support
-  PWM audio
-  Memory devices including Flash and DRAM
-  SD card
-  IrDA
Blob bootloader
GCC 3.3.2 / GLIBC 2.3.2
Various user space packages including
bash, blob, busybox, bzip2, daemonizer, dhcpcd, diffutils, ext2fs,
fileutils, findutils, gawk, gdb, grep, gzip, ipkg, iproute2, irattach2,
kernel, less, libelf, libjpeg, libpam, libstdcpp, libz, lrzsz, ltp,
micro_inetd, modutils, mtd_util, ncurses, netkit-telnet, netkit_ftp,
net_tools, openssh, openssl, portmap, ppp, procps, readline, rsync, sed,
sh-utils, skellinux, strace, sysklogd, tar, tcp_wrappers, termcap, terminfo,
time, tinylogin, util-linux, vixie-cron, wget, which, wu_ftpd, zoneinfo
Deployment
tftp kernel, nfs filesystem
flash kernel, jffs2 flash filesystem

    At the moment, I'm also trying to get the BSP-0.3.8 offered by Freescale
working, which is what they used to produce the current kernel and modules.
So as you see, I am still trying to balance what is best to do here also for
future developments of the project. Any feedback is appreciated and welcome!

    Thank you all again.

    Regards,

                Luke