Re: Confusingly named outfit

  Helo all:

El Jueves, 31 de Agosto de 2006 01:47, Wookey escribió:
> On 06-08-30 23:28 +0100, Wookey wrote:
> > Someone else has noticed the punnable possibilities of debian and
> > embedded. Some taiwanese outfit is calling itself Embedian and putting
> > a 'debian-based' distro on its hardware.
> >
> > Don't suppose it has anything to do with emdebian though.
> >
> > http://www.embedian.com/
> >
> > A mail to see if they want to co-operate might be in order.

  IMHO, I think they should be acknowledge of the existence, position and
history of the Emdebian project as a subproject of Debian.

  After this, they should answer and according to this, some more actions
could be taken.

> In fact, thinking about it, and after some discussion on #debian-uk,
> we probably need to write to them pointing out that because they have
> a confusingly similar name and are opertaing in the same area, they
> may be guilty of trademark infringement.

  Exactly this.

> If we don't do this then they may be able to give us a hard time in a
> few years, claiming we are infringing their trademark. And as we
> preceed them by 5-6 years it's a good idea to establish that priority.

[...]
> Perhaps we should also consider registering the trademark. That feels
> a bit 'corporate', but maybe it is a good idea in order to be able to
> encourage impostors to behave.

  That could also be a posibility, but I would wait for the answer of that
firm.

--
Raúl Sánchez Siles
Barracuda Systems S.L.