network encryption options

Hi All,
I'm trying to see what options are available for encrypting network data in the embedded world.
Does anyone have any idead?
Currently I'm using libcurl for communication between other devices and I rather use some fashion of private key encryption/decryption mechanism.
I've notice the kernel do have some entryption algorithms I could include but I'm not sure if that's for kernel use and whether it would apply to all network communication if it were to be used.

Any thoughts?
Much thanks.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com