From: linux-arm-kernel-bounces@lists.arm.linux.org.uk [mailto:linux-arm-kernel-bounces@lists.arm.linux.org.uk] On Behalf Of Russell King - ARM Linux
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 12:04 PM
To: Andreas Schweigstill
Cc: linux-arm-kernel@lists.arm.linux.org.uk
Subject: Re: AT91RM9200 + RS485

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 02:27:21PM +0100, Andreas Schweigstill wrote:
> In the current driver version there doesn't seem to be support for
> switching to RS485 mode. you have to either hardcode it (ugly...),
> create an ioctl() function or extend the termios structure. Be
> carefull that termios remains compatible to the standard.

I've been preaching to the RS485-using (and patch generating) folk that the handshake mode should be selected via the termios structure so that existing programs continue to work as expected.

However, it seems to fall on deaf ears, so mine have been deaf to the RS485 folk's patches for mainline 8250-based support to date.

This problem desperately needs a standardised solution which can be applied to all drivers, rather than every driver/implementation having it's own custom method of enabling RS485 mode.