Re: cross-compiling Debian packages

> On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 07:35:41PM +0300, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> > I don't see how version string can be safely used here - because
> > version strings from original debs are already used to handle
> > dependences. There are two different dependency requirements - one
> > that original packages should have version not less than ..., and
> > other - that dpkg-cross should be fresh enough to place files inside
> > new tree. I don't see way to use single version strings to handle both
> > things.
>
> How about having the resulting packages have a versioned conflict with
> earlier versions of dpkg-cross itself?

This won't help - packages created by dpkg-cross don't depend on
dpkg-cross, so conflicting with older dpkg-cross won't prevent
libc6-arm-cross created by older dpkg-cross from satisfying dependences of
packages created by newer dpkg-cross.

I still believe that the current solution - with additional depends /
provides pair - is the best one. The only issue it does not address is
possibility when X depends on Y, Y-arch-cross is created by new
dpkg-cross, and X-arch-cross is created by old dpkg-cross. But this seems
to be unsolvable without renaming -arch-cross packages - which I tried to
avoid.
If at some moment in future paths will change again (e.g. because of
multiarch adoption), mentioned problem won't exist, because -dcv2 will be
used instead on -dcv1; this will give complete protection.

Nikita