Re: Working Emdebian build environment

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 16:06 +0200, ext Riku Voipio wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 08:17:21PM +0200, Ed Bartosh wrote:
> > This is set of about 40 emdebianized packages, scratchbox-based
> > development environment and a couple of working root filesystems for
> > Nokia 770 device. It's far from perfect but it works.
>
> That's quite modest of you - now we (emdebian) have a a working
> emdebian roofts, which will hopefully attract more developers,
> as there is something to actually play with.
Yeah, hopefully :)

> > This implementation uses scratchbox as a cross-compilation environment. It
> > includes modified scratchbox,
>
> You didn't have patches for these modifications? is there other changes
> than just adding emdebian tools? Ie is Philippes emdebian devkit usable
> with these?
You can find patches for debhelper and dpkg in scratchbox sources.
I also included mtd (built by you) and svn-buildpackage to scratchbox.
That's probably it.
I didn't try to install emdebian devkit on top of my scratchbox
build, so I have no idea if it works or not, sorry.

> > 5. TODO list
> > ------------
>
> >      o uclibc builds (arm and i386)
>
> This needs a automatic build-dependency sorting tool, which takes in
> account a) tools provided by sbox b) arch:all deb packages, that can
> be ignored. This is something I've wanted to do for a while from now,
> but didn't have time to get it finished yet..
>From my point of view that needs the same things that i made for glibc
build - development rootstrap full of build-deps and some effort for
package building.

> >      o build system
>
> This is the same as above or..? using Debian's official buildd
> architecture here might be a bit too heavyweight.

I'm going to use Nokia solution for that in future.
I don't think it's urgent, because almost all packages can be rebuilt
easily by trivial script (I actually used this approach for emdebian
build) now.

> >      o cleanup rootimage scripts
>
> Or modify debootstrap/cdebootstrap more usable for creating emdebian
> rootimages. With the chroot wrapper in sbox 1.0.2 it is possible
> debootstrap sarge atleast. However, it's a lot slower than the
> current "unpack all, configure and fire" approach of make_rootimage
Yep, I agree.

> >      o upgrade packages to upstrim(testing?) versions.
>
> This the question that needs most thinking. To become accepted part
> of debian instead of prodigy fork, emdebian should be buildable
> from debian source packages available from ftp.debian.org. However,
> it might be that many debian developers who don't do embedded
> development, might not be very accepting of the idea of a
> separate emdebian/ dir in their packages.
>
> >      o implement lintian check for emdebian packages
>
> linda is probably easier to extend.
OK, I'll make changes in the TODO.

--
Ed