Installing the root file system to an x86 target

Hi,

My name is Noel and I am new to Debian much less to embedded debian, so please pardon me if I missed the obvious here. I've done the obligatory google and mail archive search and I don't know where to find a how-to on how to install the root file system on an X386 platform -- in this case just a PC with a hard drive. I've created a ext3 partition that is not mounted automatically.

Do I just copy the rootfs that was generated to that partition. Any special way to copy it.

My previous experience with embedded Linux was Monte Vista using an ARM development platform and burned the kernel image to flash using JTAG and Redboot.

Can I use GRUB to do the loading for me. Any experience in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Noel