Re: Multiarch file locations and cross-compilation

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 12:31:13AM +0400, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> Cross-compilation setups are in wide use for many years, and there is a
> de-facto standard that libs are placed into ${prefix}/${target}/lib, and
> headers are placed into ${prefix}/${target}/include. This convention is
> coded in binutils and gcc packages, as well as in other toolchains.

Just to nitpick, while  ${prefix}/${target}/lib is the defacto standard,
very few people use /usr/ as the prefix. More likely target libs are
somewhere under /opt or /home/joedeveloper/acmetools/.

Using the crosscompilation scheme for multiarch is inconvinient, because
then we need two binary packages for each binary lib package - One
compiled to be used as "native" and to be installed to /usr/lib, and
one for crosscompilation, installing to /usr/${target}/lib.

While it is possible to convert packages from first format second using
some clever hacks, wouldn't it be a lot easier if you could just install
unmodified target lib .debs with apt-get to the crosscompilation system?