Re: Multiarch file locations and cross-compilation

"Nikita V. Youshchenko" writes...

> However, both multiarch and cross-compilation setups require of
> installation of libraries and headers for different architectures on the
> same host. So it seems reasonable to use common policies about placing
> those files.

I agree. I will add this case to the problem statement on the multiarch
page  http://www.linuxbase.org/futures/ideas/multiarch/

> Cross-compilation setups are in wide use for many years, and there is a
> de-facto standard that libs are placed into ${prefix}/${target}/lib, and
> headers are placed into ${prefix}/${target}/include.

There are lots of de-facto standards, I've tried to record them on the
above page.

> This convention is
> coded in binutils and gcc packages, as well as in other toolchains.

It is? Do you have some examples? I don't remember that from the cross
stuff I've done in the past (but maybe I'm trying to block that out of
my brain :) ).

> This differs from what you propose for multiarch (${prefix}/lib/${target}
> ans ${prefix}/include/${target}). Your argument is that you wish to
> prevent /usr pollution.
>
> But it seems that this 'pollution' argument is not strong enough to change
> the way how cross-compilation setups worked for years.
>
> *) The 'pollution' is actually tiny - number of 'arch directories' that
> will appear under /usr will not be larger than number of architectures
> that multiarch system supports - which is probably very small.

Yes, most of the time it will be very small.

> *) Having things placed under common prefix makes it easier to create
> chroots, target system images and similar things.

Ok.

> *) Many existing cross-compilation tools work with current setup, and quite
> a lot developers expect things to be this way.

Do you have examples?

> What do you thing about the above?

Interesting, I'll have to think about it.

> Isn't it better to make multiarch proposal consistent with de-facto
> standard of cross-compilation setup?

Have you thought about how such a solution would affect the other
cases on the webpage?

Thanks,

--
Matt Taggart