Re: How to get organized?

+++ Allen Curtis [05-05-27 07:58 -0700]:
> Ok, I sent this message out 24 hours ago. In that time I have receive 1
> penis enlargement and 1 website design email. Is anybody listening?

You got a reply from me to your last mail too :-) I just haven't got to this
one yet.

A number of us are a bit busy fighting software patents to do any actual
computing work at the moment :-(

> On May 26, 2005, at 7:21 AM, Allen Curtis wrote:
>
> >I have been reviewing the Debian developer documentation and I am
> >impressed by the level of coordination. What can we do to implement
> >the same thing? Are the tools to itemize packages available to us?

I'm not sure what you mnean by this but I'm sure the answer is yes. Aptitude
is what I use for analysing package dependencies.

Which packages do you want on your system? Or if you don't know the answer
to that what do you want it to do and work backwards from that.

> >IMHO this is the starting point. Identify the packages, find people to
> >maintain and/or create those packages, provide a testing environment
> >and have a central package distribution point. At this point in time,
> >I do not know any of this information.

So start making a package list. You can take two approaches.
busybox+glibc+whatever you need or 'standard debian base packages'. The
latter will be a much fatter but more debian-like system. People who have
actually built emdebian images have used the former approach.

As you say we are suffering from a hopeless lack of user-level docs right
now - if you just write down what you do that will be a start - even if it's
all wrong someone will probably refine them.

Perhaps get together with Diego Municio who seems to have managed to make an
image despite our best efforts to keep how to do it a secret :-)

> >Does anyone know what these system level tools are? We have a server
> >and I will install them.

> >BTW: I have ARM and PPC embedded hardware that I can make available
> >for testing. I also have a single BDI2000 with software for either
> >architecture. It isn't enough but it is something.

A BDI2000 - cool. I hear they are nifty.