pkg-config problem && compiler/linker parameters

Hi,

everybody who tried to make a application cross-compile ready know that it's
a nightmare to modify all the Makefiles or GNU AutoTools. dpkg-buildpackage
help to handle the Debian packaging if the cross production works.
dpkg-cross to install a cross-compiler environment.

Somebody here tried to create a wrapper that call a cross-compiler by
default and modifies the calling parameters to match the cross-compiler
environemnt?

I could imagin that a Makefile calls gcc but powerpc-linux-gcc will be
called. If -I/usr/include/mylib is a option it will be converted to
-I/usr/powerpc-linux/include/mylib. The same for -L/usr/lib/mylib to
-L/usr/powerpc-linux/lib.

dpkg-cross today have a problem with pkg-config files. They are considered
by dpkg-buildpackage but the content is not converted by dpkg-cross for the
new directory structure (/usr/${arch}-linux/*).

How to solve this problem/situation ?

My suggestion is to offer a wrapper application that calls the cross-tools
and converts the options (-I, -L ect.) as configured in
/etc/dpkg/cross-compiler. It would be a goody to have such a tools even
though the pkg-config files can be converted by dpkg-cross.

Any other suggestions/idears ?

--
Raphael