Re: dpkg-cross: dh_strip & make-kpkg issues

> > For all those who are searching for a reasonable solution, I've found
> > one that works without modifing dpkg-cross in any way. Here the snippet
> > of the required cross-compile configuration file:
> >
> >   scope makeflags:
> >
> >   package kernel-image-2.4.26-powerpc:
> > ARCH=ppc
>
> But this is architecture-dependent, isn't it?
No. It's depends on the package. If the kernel sources would accept GNU
notations for their architectures everything would work fine with dpkg-cross
.
What I'm doing here is to tune only the production for the kernel sources as
it would be for other software packages too.

> Maybe we should add one more statement to cross-compile config file -
>   architectire XXX:
> to set architecture-specific variables?
It's not resonable for me because it makes the configuration complicated. We
have today 'mode', 'scope' and 'package'. 'scope' per 'mode' and 'package'
per 'scope'. Introducing 'architecture' would make it more complicated.
There would be an additional level 'mode' per 'architecture' or
'architecture' per 'mode' ?

architecture -> mode -> scope -> package, or
mode -> architecture -> scope -> package (if mode is more important then
-a<arch>)

I think we make dpkg-cross only more complicated to configure then simpler
to use or maintain.

--
Raphael