Re: speed up the compilation with distcc

Am 2004-06-11 16:03:12, schrieb Philippe De Swert:
>Hello Michelle (and others),

>Well that is a quite impressive setup, which must take quite a lot of space...
>But I wonder if distcc needs much bandwith. I expect it does from what I read
>recently and I don't think it will be usable to do a distcc over the net no?
>As you are having such a setup working can you tell some more about the
>bandwith use and if you have ever done some cross-development with distcc (if
>it is possible)?

First of all I have a 3Com SuperStack III Switch with 24x 10/100MBit
and 2x 1 GBit on the front and 2x 1 GBit at the rear.

I use a FileServer which is connected to on of the 1 GBit ports. The
same for my Devel-Station.

The HP Vectras are connected to the 100 MBit ports.

I have compiled openoffice.org1.1 in around 2 hours but never seen
flashing lamps on the Switch like this... :-)

The biggest problem is, that I can not have more then 2-2.5 MByte/Sec
on the HP Vectras. My FileServer a Duron 1600 with 128 MByte of memory
had no problems, but the Mainboard has only 32-Bit PCI-Ports and I use
a /realy) cheap GBit NIC. (My postgresql has a ServerNIC and make
70 MByte/Sec)

So a HP Vectra make around 30 MBit and the FileServer NIC is limited
to 300 MBit which mean, that only 10 HP Vectras can operate correctly.

I think, if I use P2/500 and the FileServer has a 64-Bit Server
NIC and an Athlon 2400 with 512 MByte of memory it is a realy nice
production system.

In sumary it works perfectly ! - And I think, if you have realy
Important things to compile, a Cluster of 5-10 Athlon 1000 with
distcc is 100 times better as an Quad-Opteron 3200 MHz.

Let one fail, - the other resume the task...

>Of course it is not really emdebian related, but it is also very interesting
>:)

:-)

I use this cluster only, becaus I am since some time jobless and I
have gotten the HP's for free...

(Curently no money to buy a bigger Machine)

>regards,
>
>Philippe

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi