Re: dpkg-cross

+++ Philippe De Swert [04-06-01 13:43 +0200]:
> Hello everybody,
>
> > packaging was a bit of a hack that required a force to install and then
> > produced lots of whinges from other things that needed dpkg-cross or
> > devscripts. At the weekend I did a stag-addons 1.1 which installs cleanly so
> > this fixes the problem for the time being, but ultimately a much better
> > sulution is simply to update dpkg-cross and devscripts to 'know about'
> > emdebian then stag-addons will just contain the aditional stuff.
>
> So Wookey, you managed to fix it? Great news :) May I ask which option did the
> trick?

I tried using dpkg-divert but because dpkg-cross already diverts
dpkg-buildpackage and dpkg-shlibdeps it doesn't work (dpkg-diverts does not
appear to allow a two-level diversion so far as I can see). So then I just
took out all the scripts which aren't in fact changed between stag-addons
and the originals and used a 'replaces: dpkg-cross, devscripts' and a
depends: dpkg-cross, devscripts.

This leaves all the scripts we need present, and means that dpkg-cross
remains in the system so the various things that depend on it don't get
upset that it has gone. The 'replaces' option means that stag-addons is
allowed to replace dpkg-buildpackage and dpkg-shlibdeps (and about 7 other
files - these could in fact be diverted but as we've overwritten some of
dpkg-cross there didn't seem to be much point).

I also did a proper packaging so that it can be 'built' (copied :-) with
debuild.

> > Take a look at the changes in the stag-addons 1.1 I'll upload shortly to see
> > what's changed.
>
> Were are you going to upload it? I will put it on my website too anyway.

I should stick it on the emdebian site along with some instructions on using
it (I've finally got round to working on some site updates again), but in
the meantime it's here:
binary:
http://emdebian.sourceforge.net/emdebian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/devel/

source: