Re: dpkg-cross

+++ Nikita V. Youshchenko [04-05-30 09:52 +0400]:
> Hello
>
> > Currently there are some problems caused by the fact that stag-addons
> > conflicts with dpkg-cross (because it replaces several scripts with
> > modified versions). I'm working to fix this but in the klonger term it
> > probably makes more sense to just include medebian functionality in
> > dpkg-cross and avoid such hassles.
>
> If you post some technical details, probably I can help with this?

Philippe is the expert but essentially some scripts in dpkg-cross and some
in devscripts are modified to do 'emdebian' style builds. The original
packaging was a bit of a hack that required a force to install and then
produced lots of whinges from other things that needed dpkg-cross or
devscripts. At the weekend I did a stag-addons 1.1 which installs cleanly so
this fixes the problem for the time being, but ultimately a much better
sulution is simply to update dpkg-cross and devscripts to 'know about'
emdebian then stag-addons will just contain the aditional stuff.

Take a look at the changes in the stag-addons 1.1 I'll upload shortly to see
what's changed.

> I've either fixed or commented almost all bugs reported against dpkg-cross,
> and my current version (1.14.5) seems to work very well.
> It is in my repository at http://zigzag.lvk.cs.msu.su/~nikita/debian/
>
> > I'm just looking at your latest versions of dpkg-cross, and gcc, nikita,
> > and it looks like you have done lots of good things that help emdebian on
> > its way. Thnax very much - it is most appreciated.
>
> :)
> I really wish to become a DD ... could you please advocate me?

In a word, yes. You'd better fill me in off-list on some details on what
you've been doing, and remind me how the NM process works these days. You'll
still need to find someone rather more local to sign your key :-)

> Since version of dpkg-cross in sid is really broken, I believe NMUing my
> last version is a good idea. If I need to do something to make it
> possible, please let me know.

OK. I'll take a look.