Re: some thoughts (scratchbox, emdebian/rules)

Hi Justin,

Quoting Justin Cormack <justin@street-vision.com>:

> I was thinking about this earlier today actually, and there are a couple
> of issues:
>
> 1. (fairly trivial) is it emdebian/rules or just an emdebian-build
> target in the standard rules file?

It was just a random idea. The emdebian-build rule/target was already
mentioned as an option. But I thought that maybe by adding a new rules file
designed for emdebian could make it easier to maintain the different angles.
Avoiding big and complex structures. Especially when cross-compiling issues
have to be corrected. Of course we could also call a seperate rules file for
emdebian.

> 2. we have to change the control file too (to change packages built and
> build deps), so do we add an emdebian/control or debian/emdebian-control
> file? Otherwise we are still going to have to patch original sources

>From the new emdebian/rules file this file could easily be changed with sed or
so. Or easily changed in the emdebian target in the adapted debian/rules file.

> 3. if you do either of these, you wont be able to build packages from
> standard source debs easily (because the emdebian dpkg will be looking
> for the emdebian files). One of the nice things about uwoody is being
> able to just grab standard package sources and build them. So in the
> short term it might just be easier to maintain a set of patches against
> normal debian. Changing from one to the other wouldnt be a lot of work
> though, and could easily be automated.

When using a different rules file this is indeed the case. I wonder if you did
cross-compile uwoody. Because I encountered several problems when
cross-compiling normal debian packages even with glibc. Therefore I changed
some things in dpkg-cross and added in the same time support for multiple
libraries, and removing . (see www.mind.be/stag if you want to know more what
I did.)

> I dont think these are very important though. I dont think you need to
> change much more than control and some configure options in rules for
> many packages, as it should be easy to make all the debhelpers that
> install documentation do nothing instead so they dont have to be
> commented out (not sure how many packages dont use debhelper).

It is also a good idea you have here. Changing the debhelper scripts to avoid
installing documentation when giving specific options. I'll keep that in mind.

Greets,

Philippe

Gestuurd via het webmailsysteem van het De Nayer Instituut: www.denayer.be