Re: Embedded Debian, the 5 lb bag.

+++ Erik Andersen [04-01-30 17:19 -0700]:
> On Fri Jan 30, 2004 at 05:17:52PM -0700, Dr. Craig Hollabaugh wrote:
> > > Which is why solutions such as http://scratchbox.org/ make sense,
> > > since it makes a fast build system (such as an x86) act as a
> > > native target system, by using binfmt_misc, a cross-development
> > > system, and an nfsmount....
> >
> > http://scratchbox.org/pdf/cross-conf.pdf
> >
> > Wow, I certainly have learned a lot today. Let me understand this, are
> > you proposing that we cross-compile emdebian using scratchbox or
> > something like it?
>
> Absolutely.  Trying to do native builds for all platforms
> is sheer madness imho,

yep. I'm with erik on this one. Native is fine for some platforms, but it's
not practical for others. That means either using scratchbox to fake native
compiles or making everything cross-compile properly. We can ultimately
persue both possibilities but I'm for starting with the scratchbox idea and
see how things work out. You do still need a similar box with a network
connection for each supported architecture but that certainly practical for
developers doing a particular platform and it's probably practical for
emdebian to collectively maintain a set of such machines - indeed collecting
such a compile farm could be a very useful part of what emdebian does.

I'm sorting out the fast x86 central box now (well Paul Hedderly is). Once
that's done we can start adding other platforms for scratchboxness.