Re: Linux on CF-Cards

In message <[🔎] 20040122222628.GB7849@minhnam> you wrote:

> Yes, it is true that CF has a rather limited write cycle, compared
> to other persistent storage. But, I don't think anybody doing
> serious embedded systems will want to use the CF as a hard disk.

Wrong. "Hard disk" does not automatically mean "writable filesystem",
and using a CF as read-only device is pretty reliable.

> CF is a great way to boot up the system.  Then, most of its content
> should be mounted as read-only on a ram-based root filesystem. The
> writable-part should be on the ramdisk, and should be updated to

Using a ramdisk is  simple,  but  far  from  optima.  In  almost  all
circumstances a tmpfs is a much better choice.

> Does Linux have union-mount yet, in 2.6.x?  It will make my life
> less miserable in building embedded systems.

We're working on a FIST based fan-out  filesystem  which  will  allow
exactly what you are looking for.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--