Re: Thoughts on dpkg-cross 2.0 configuration format

Sorry for my late reply,

I have been gone to the Linuxworld expo and am just catching up
answering my mails.

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 23:05, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> > > The basic idea is the following.
> > > Currently there are two "types" of variables set by dpkg-cross - some
> > > are from configuration file, others are hardcoded. I see no rationale
> > > for having this difference - it only makes it harder to understand how
> > > things work.

you are right there. It also makes the code harder to understand. And I
know because I have been digging into it...

> > > I'd like to see all variables set from the configuration file. Default
> > > configuration file should contain basic setup for cross-compilation
> > > (i.e. what's currently (mostly) hardcoded), and then have
> > > per-(package,mode,arch) parts that set up more particular things

The arch part would be something great. Because this is something the
current -Still in development- Emdebian tools lack. And they are based
on dpkg-cross, so hopefully if we both manage to do a good job it will
be used quite intensively.

> > > (probably changing or undefining some "general" settings). To make
> > > such configuration more readable, it should not completely be located
> > > in one file, instead "include" and "includeif" statements (ala
> > > fontconfig's configuration) should be supported, or even
> > > "configuration directory" concept. User configuration file should not
> > > be used instead of global, but "includeif"ed at the bottom of global
> > > configuration.
> > > The syntax may be the same as now, with addition of fourth dimension
> > > "arch" (first three are "mode", "package" and "scope"), include
> > > statements and undefine statement.

Please do also document it decently or make a nice example in the
config...

> > > If that will be implemented, it's a large enough change to call it
> > > dpkg-cross 2.0 :).
> >
> > I spend some thoungs on the new flexible configuration scheme. My
> > fontconfig version uses XML as configuration language. I'm familiar
> > with XML (Python, C++) and would like to propose to use Perl as
> > configuration languages instead of writting a new parser

How do you mean. Configuring everything by running perl statements or
editing a perl script?

regards,

Philippe