Re: Thoughts on dpkg-cross 2.0 configuration format

Hi Nikita,

> I don't even know if dpkg-cross is actually used by anyone (besides
> it's authors) for anything else than running toolchain-source scripts
> to build cross compiles for use in projects not related to debian
> [those scripts depend on dpkg-cross to get cross-libc].
I can reassure you. I and my colleagues (have to) use dpkg-cross because we have a embedded PowerPC project based on Debian using Woody (today).
Our C/C++ projects are all Autotools based packaged for Debian and
cross-compiled with dpkg-cross.
I do not care if we have to make hard decissions which change a lot of
dpkg-cross. People who deal with cross-compilation are tough. Any
improvement make their lives easier!

> Probably perl hashes may be used in some intelligent way instead of
> multi-dimension (mode/scope/package/arch) current concept.
Yes, we should use what Perl offer to achieve this as simple and as
flexible as possible.

> The only danger with perl configuration that we should avoid is
> migration of whole dpkg-cross to configuration files :).
I say it alread, cross-compilation is a hard job. We make it a little
bit easier.

--
Raphael Bossek