[Fwd: ANNOUNCE: linux-arm-toolchain mailing list and standard toolchain project]

FYI

--- Begin Message ---
Hello all,

Like Russell has noted[1] in March there have been a lot of toolchain questions
in recent months, even though there are prebuilt toolchains available at
several locations [2].  At the time there were plans to tackle this issue,
unfortunately momentum got lost.  Since to my knowledge there is no satisfying
toolchain yet, I want to pick up where we left off and produce a standard
precompiled toolchain based on what people require today.

Erik Mouw has kindly set up a linux-arm-toolchain mailing list for that
purpose.  Of course, all ARM Linux toolchain questions can be posted to that
list, relieving the other linux-arm lists.

 the list address is:
        linux-arm-toolchain@lists.arm.linux.org.uk

 subscription is possible via:

It's useful to collect requirements (and act on them), so that people won't
have to ask/build their own toolchain when they start working on an arm port,
but can just use prebuilt ones.  I'll be collecting these requirements,
processing them, publishing the results, and making a start at building the
resulting toolchain(s) using Dan Kegel's crosstool [3].

In order to get a good overview of what the community wants, I invite all of
you to send your toolchain list of requirements to:

    linux-arm-toolchain@lists.arm.linux.org.uk

with a subject of 'ARM Linux toolchain requirements'.

Some example points to think about:
- target architectures (armv4, xscale, ep9312, etc.)
- features (softfloat, multilibs, languages, share/static, etc.)
- C libraries (glibc, uclibc, newlib)
- versions (gcc-3.4, gcc-2.95, glibc-2.2.5, glibc-2.3.2, what are people actually using?)

If there are combinations of tools, versions, features that absolutely don't
work for you, ("X version Z depends on Y, which my platform doesn't support, use
X version W instead!") that might also be worthwhile to report.

Wouter van Heyst

1. http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2004-March/020583.html
2. ftp://ftp.arm.linux.org.uk/pub/armlinux/toolchain/
3. http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/

For an idea why known, recommended compilers matter, have a look at
   http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2002-October/011749.html