.deb install scripts

So... in the end I decided to use Debian, because I know it well, like it and don't see any other embedded distributions that stand out above it head and shoulders.

I've hacked together my own little framework for doing things (maybe I'll see about open sourcing it...), but I'm still faced with the question of deb install scripts - specifically postinst. I don't really need to worry about removing scripts.

Anyone have any clever methods for getting a postinst script to do its stuff 1) in the right place, but 2) without having to install all the dpkg/debconf/etc baggage on my target system? Shell scripts shouldn't be so bad, but debconf... hrm.

Thanks!
Dave