Re: Debian router (compressed FS needs)

Le vendredi 23 Avril 2004 10:46, Dr. Craig Hollabaugh a écrit :
> "stripped-down kernel" implies that you need to compile one yourself.

Building a custom kernel using Debian tools is quite easy, even including
patches!!! This is all what Debian is ... easy.

In fact, "my" problems are related to:

1) the Debian beta 3 installer which needs too much disc memory (why? I will
try the latest version to see if it is fixed. Maybe I should ask questions on
the installer list.)

2) to a certain extent, the need for a stripped down Kernel 2.6 image in SID
(3 Mb not 38 Mb).

Vadim script is certainly very interesting and I will try it. But, this is
just another Debian installation script. Working on this script can only be
in concurrence with the main installers. At my level, I don't know whether it
is worth investing time or not. My opinion is not clear.

Maybe Vadim can explain more about his long-term goals. For example, do you
think to work on the beta installer at some point? Or why should you stick to
your installtion script?

Cheers, Jean-Michel Pouré