Re: Embedded Debian, the 5 lb bag.

ext Dan Kegel wrote:
OK, that sounds about right, but stage 2 should probably rebuild
all the packages built in stage 1, to keep the
"non-debian" build system contamination to a minimum.
Paranoia is a wonderful thing :-)

Absolutely. I should've probably stated that explicitly but that's what I meant anyway.

How do you plan to compile coreutils for example? It depends (through documentation generation tools) on XFree86.

ptxdist uses busybox rather than coreutils.

I'm talking about stage 2 here. I guess we should always remember to specify which stage we are talking about :)

Also, ptxdist generally builds no documentation; it builds only as much
of each package as is needed for an embedded system (or, in the case
of a library, only as much as is needed to build the other packages
in ptxdist).

OK, in order for us to move forward with this we should pick one architecture and get stage 1 and 2 completed. I propose i386, it is a natural place to start as most people have access to such machines.

I'm going to be very busy next week, and on vacation the week after, but after that I think I can put some effort into this.

Erik, I hope you can provide a rough estimate of which packages are needed in stage 2? Stage 1 contents we can get by looking at what uclibc buildroot provides. At least it gives us some indication.

I hope that once we have an initial "thing" in place it will be easier to judge the overall effort needed to get stage 3 going. A lot of the actual work in stages 2 and 3 will be in pushing required changes to Debian package maintainers.

/lauri