Re: Emdebian 'shrunken debian scheme'

Philippe De Swert wrote:

Actually just compiling Debian packages with uclibc IMHO is not very hard. I
should test it to be absolutely sure of course. If you make sure to have a
uclibc-toolchain and compile everything (from Debian source) with the help of
dpkg-cross you get already uclibc binary packages. (you tell your Debian your
are cross-compiling (with uclibc) but actually don't, but dpkg-cross would not
know and avoid using glibc)

I think you just valididated my pont on needing a HOWTO. *grin* Like you said its probally not hard. I've used apt-build in several cases and it usually just works so dpkg-cross probally isn't that much different. But the barrier to entry on digging into the guts of packageing *seems* high. Even if it really isn't.

So in this case the rules file (like the build script is called. You could check
the Debian new maintainers guide for more details I think.) does not need any

Thanks. I'll start doing some reading.

Another problem is the installation. You need a running file-system or a sort of
chrooted environment with a working dpkg or something similar (thinking about
ipkg here) to correctly install those packages. A saner approach (thinking of
embedded development and the memory limits )is installing them in a different
directory from which you can make an image to download on your board.

Yes. This is issue. Building on most of our targets (i486-STPC) is *painfully* slow. Being able to build a complete image of the target filesytem would be most handy. I normally end up taking a starting point like pxt-dist and hand adding in my changes.

And not strickly a emdebian issue but ease of installing a bootloader on the target using that fs image would be nice as well. lilo and grub suck for installing onto a minimal target. Syslinux is much better but requires an extra FAT partition.

PS: I'm doing a master thesis about this stuff, and have worked out an approach.
However it is not finished. But I have exams now so not very much time either. I
already made a testing suite and docs which will be published when they have
been reviewed and approved by the people which are helping me on this (currently
this reviewing is being done, hopefully I can point at it by the end of the week).

Great.  I look forward to reading your stuff.

--
Richard A. Smith
rsmith@bitworks.com