Re: Dropping support for 386 and possibly 486 and 586

Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
There is currently a long thread on the develop list about the possibility of
dropping support from the i386 architecture for at best just 386 processors
and at worst everything except 686 processors. ...

I found generally embedded units requires ad­hoc installations,
I do not find that proposal a so grave issue.
I'm more concerned about cross-development tools availability
and other building blocks.

That's a good point.  Embedded folks using 386 processors
don't need every Debian package.  They're perfectly capable
of compiling the packages they do need themselves, and given
the proper cross-compiler, that's not so hard.

By the way, I've written a script that downloads the binutils/gcc/glibc
sources and builds cross-compilers for any architecture supported
by glibc.  I'm quite sure it can pop out an i686->i386 cross-compiler
in an hour or two with little or no effort required.  It's at
  http://kegel.com/crosstool
That should take care of the corss-development tools availability!
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com