Kernel Configuration

Hello,

I have browsed some of the archives and I have noticed that there has been a lot of talk and discussion about investing a lot of design work into a kernel configuration system.

I fail to see how this has anything to do with a distribution, embedded or otherwise. The hard part about installing GNU/Linux is getting all the various libraries and applications installed without some kind of dependency nightmare or compiling your own code. Compiling a custom kernel (if you should need one...) is the least of your problems.

I guess my point is that an embedded debian kind of system should jsut be packaging a root filesystem (which debian already does out of the box for several architectures...) and then just have special tools to assemble this filesystem onto flash media. Of course that is a quite simplified outlook, but at the core that is all you need to do.

Of course, you have to strip down a lot of the packages, but it seems that the folks at emdebian already have some tools to do this already.

So am I missing somehting, or is there some validity to these statements? I kind of feel that it might be nice for people who don't want to compile their own kernels the "normal" way, but why bog down the project at this point in the game?

~Ken