Re: byte-compile only for new emacs version?

Hello Thomas,

On Sat 03 Nov 2018 at 04:54PM +0100, Thomas Koch wrote:

> I'm working on elpa-lsp-mode. It requires emacs 25.  When I try the
> package on my Debian stable, it fails byte-compilation for emacs
> 24. After removing emacs 24 it installs just fine with only emacs 25
> installed.
>
> Is there a way to specify that a package should only be installed for
> a subset of the installed emacsen on a system?

My knowledge of dh_elpa internals is not as good as it was a year ago,
but I believe that the only way to do this is to override its generated
emacsen-common maintscripts with maintscripts of your own.

Given that unversioning has been completed such that we only ever have
exactly one version of GNU Emacs in sid, I think that you should not do
this.  New packages target sid, and in Debian sid there is no emacs24,
so it seems wrong to introduce significant hacks to accommodate people
who might still have emacs24 installed.

Instead, I suggest using a Breaks relation so that emacs24 will be
uninstalled if it was still hanging around.

--
Sean Whitton