Re: elpa startup

"Barak A. Pearlmutter" <barak@pearlmutter.net> writes:

> I'd already tried "dh_elpa debian/elpa-vala-mode.elpa" myself.  That
> doesn't work, it still tries to elpa-ize the (empty) package
> vala-mode-el, and then fails when the tar file passed to emacs --batch
> contains just an empty directory.
>
> However "dh_elpa -Nvala-mode-el" does work.  Thanks!

dh_elpa is using debhelper for its argument handling, so the usual
debhelper ways of doing things should work; in addition to -N which Rémi
already mentioned, you could use `dh_elpa -pelpa-foo`

> It might be good to document this in dh_elpa(1), and maybe even give
> an example of a best-practices transition package with all the right
> Supplies: and Breaks: fields and such.

I'm not sure it's dh-elpa's job to document this level of policy.
For starters maybe you could add some ideas to the policy-in-progress on
the wiki; it's an ikiwiki instance, so just

    git clone git.debian.org:/git/pkg-emacsen/wiki

and push back when you're done.

> Maybe dh_elpa should only run on packages with a debian/*.elpa file?
> There would be no loss in functionality, since if the source files are
> installed into the right elpa locations in debian/elpa-foo/ using some
> other mechanism you can always create an empty debian/foo.elpa file.

hmm. maybe. I'd be curious if there are other debhelper commands that
work like this, and also if other people would find this behaviour more
or less surprising.  I agree that "everyone call dh_elpa
-pelpa-snowflake" doesn't sound very scalable. Barak, perhaps you could
open a wishlist bug on dh-elpa so I don't forget about this.