Re: elpa startup

> But how do I get the auto-mode-alist tweaked to made this the default
> mode for .vala files?

This would be an issue for the elpa-markdown-mode package as well, I think.

Perhaps this is something that could be addressed by putting some fields
into the debian/*.elpa file, maybe something like

 Mode: md markdown-mode

Or maybe be more general and have fields with startup code.  Or maybe
bite the bullet and put startup code in debian/*.elpa.el

> you can run
>     dh_elpa -Nvala-mode-el
>     instead of
>             dh_elpa

> to tell dh-elpa to ignore vala-mode-el, or you can use

>    dh_elpa debian/elpa-vala.elpa

> to tell it to only handle elpa-vala

I'd already tried "dh_elpa debian/elpa-vala-mode.elpa" myself.  That
doesn't work, it still tries to elpa-ize the (empty) package
vala-mode-el, and then fails when the tar file passed to emacs --batch
contains just an empty directory.

However "dh_elpa -Nvala-mode-el" does work.  Thanks!

It might be good to document this in dh_elpa(1), and maybe even give an
example of a best-practices transition package with all the right
Supplies: and Breaks: fields and such.

Maybe dh_elpa should only run on packages with a debian/*.elpa file?
There would be no loss in functionality, since if the source files are
installed into the right elpa locations in debian/elpa-foo/ using some
other mechanism you can always create an empty debian/foo.elpa file.

					--Barak.