Re: Trouble with byte-compiling .el files on Emacs update

Hilko Bengen <bengen@debian.org> writes:

> Michael Olson <mwolson@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> I've implemented this as follows for the semantic package.
>
>> [...]
>
>>     cat << EOF > path.el
>> (let ((paths (list "${ELPREFIX}" "${ELPREFIX}/bovine" "${ELPREFIX}/wisent"
>>                    "/usr/share/${FLAVOR}/site-lisp/cedet-common"
>>                    "/usr/share/${FLAVOR}/site-lisp/ede"
>>                    "/usr/share/${FLAVOR}/site-lisp/eieio"
>>                    "/usr/share/${FLAVOR}/site-lisp/speedbar")))
>>   (setq load-path (nconc paths load-path) byte-compile-warnings nil))
>> EOF
>
> Are you sure that this does what you want? The directories under
> /usr/share/${FLAVOR}/ only contain the .elc files and those are all
> removed and regenerated during upgrade of Emacsen themselves.

Yes, it's what I want.  I didn't use quite the correct description
earlier -- it's the Emacs-version-specific directory that should be
included in load-path, not the sources.  The configuration scripts for
semantic's dependencies are guaranteed to run before the script for
semantic, so all of the compiled files (and the symlinks for each .el
file) will already be populated.

--
|       Michael Olson  |  FSF Associate Member #652     |
| http://mwolson.org/  |  Hobbies: Lisp, HCoop          |